Thursday 12 September 2013

plus ca change, plus cést la meme chose

For many years I have not understood economics. To a physicist the idea that, overnight the value of the country or even the planet can change suddenly, where no physical change has occurred, is somewhat of an anathema. The amount of stuff can remain the same so how can the value change. Its all related to confidence. A bit wishy washy to a scientist.
But now I have had my own version of that peculiar scenario.Yesterday I received a rejection after applying for an academic position. It seems that everything I have done and achieved counts for nought. It wasn't that I expected to get the job, I didn't. But I did think i'd done enough to get an interview.
So now the following day nothing has changed, except that everything has changed. I now realise that no matter what my particular individual talents, I cant see me ever getting into academia, because I have spent so many years doing something else -whilst being a professional physicist. My confidence has taken a big hit and I have to reconsider how I might direct my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment