Tuesday 15 October 2013

Applied science

One of the new perspectives that arises from a child being in hospital is one of the application of science. Actual application is another planet to many people who just want to pursue some science. To me application is what its all about. But when I look at the usefulness of what I actually do witnessing the science in action is inspirational. I saw an echo cardiogram machine which was one of the most amazing bits of scientific technology I have ever seen. I understood what I was seeing, the slice through the heart seen by the fan of ultrasound reflecting of various tissue type. A view from under the ribs, from the middle of the chest, from the side . Video at 70 frames per second of the heart valves pumping. Doppler measurements of the 2MHz ultrasound beam showing the direction of blood flow, measurements of the size of arteries. All this because my son had a low resting heart rate and the doctors wanted just to have a look and see what was there. He was fine by the way, at least his heart was. It made me realise that there is so much genuine advantage that can be wrought from the well directed use of science. I can achieve so much more than I currently do tinkering and toying with small amounts of defence funding. I must achieve more.

No comments:

Post a Comment